Be True to Yourself in Your Personal Brand
If your website stimulates an image in your mind that is just not you, it’s time to change. It is possible you’ve been trying to model your approach after someone else. You are trying to fit in and be like others in your industry, but here is the hard loving truth. There is no one quite like you! So let’s start creating your personal brand.
It’s time to show up and be seen.
Being yourself isn’t always easy. There is a moment of vulnerability when you share with the world exactly who you are. And it is that moment of vulnerability, when you let your personality show through that you connect with your ideal customers. And don’t worry! You don’t have to get super personal or share parts of your life that you want to keep private. You just have to let your beautiful self shine through.
Who do you want to show up as?
There’s lots of talk about branding in regard to your website. The basic principles of branding help you decide on the image you wish to portray and what message you want to drive home. Here are some questions to consider…
- What image do you want to portray? Casual or professional
- What is your ultimate purpose, your “Why”?
- What is at the center of your message?
The answers to these questions are going to be guiding factors when it comes to creating or updating your website message and imagery. For example, if you want to show up more casual, pictures of you sipping coffee on a cute downtown street are totally appropriate for your website. However, if you are looking to be seen as a high end professional, save those causal pictures for your social media and focus on creating imagery that shows the professional you are.
How do you start showing up?
Once you have answered these questions, it is time to start showing up, and the best way is to simply do it. Show up! You just do. People want to see you, and hiding behind a computer screen planning for “someday” isn’t going to get your message out there. Here are a few tips to get you started…
- Be yourself within the pages of your website. Trying to pretend you are someone you’re not is going to come out when you start working with customers.
- Be conversational in your “About Me” pages and blog posts. Nothing shows the real you better than having a conversation from your website pages.
- Before you sit down create the content for your website, take time to connect with your mission, vision and core values. This is going to help the real you shine through!
Remember, creating and building a strong brand does not have to compromise your personality. In the world of websites, retaining your personality and your identity will go far in branding your business. You’ll be much happier with the long-term effects of your all your online marketing if you don’t try to be someone you are not. Be yourself and have fun creating your personal brand.
Are you ready to create your own Personal Brand? Check out my totally FREE Branding Your Biz Master Class!
- Identify fonts that best represent your brand personality
- Finish by creating a Branding Style Guide to use for all of your marketing needs