And please don't tell me you need a blog for SEO!
"Teresa, I need a blog!" I have been hearing this statement quite a bit lately which is why I am dedicating this month to Blogging, and why you maybe shouldn't be blogging at all. Yes I know there are "experts" out there that say you need a blog, but to quote Erin Ollila of the Talk Copy to Me Podcast, "it depends."
Reasons why you DON'T need a blog...
I thought I would start here, so we can just get these out of the way. After all, there is no reason to keep reading if you realize that blogging just isn't for you.
- You hate writing. If you really hate writing, then why on earth would you torture yourself with a task that requires you to write. If this is you, unless you are willing to invest in hiring a copywriter to take care of your blog, you should probably not have one
- You have nothing to say. Having things to say and share with your audience is a key element to blogging. So if you are struggling with topics blogging may not be for you. (Although I do help you with this in my Blogging 101 course!)
- Doing it because, "you should." The shoulds are a slippery slope my friend that just leads to feeling like a failure. If this is the only reason you want to blog, I say cross it off your list. There are other avenues of marketing you could be spending your precious energy on.
- No plans to share and repurpose. Your blog has to be more than just words on paper. It is a marketing tool to connect with your dream customers, and if you aren't using it to connect you are wasting your time.
- Unable to unwilling to be consistent. A blog is a promise to your audience to show up on a regular basis. If you don't have time or a desire to keep this commitment, don't blog.
Reasons blogging may be for you...
(If any of the reasons NOT to have a blog or true, I still recommend not doing one, or at least not doing one right now.)
- You are looking to make a connection with your dream customers. Blogs are a great place to share a little more intimate view of yourself in a way that your dream customers can relate to.
- You want to establish yourself as an expert in your field. You have something of value to share, and that is your expertise. By sharing a little about your process and the expertise you offer that saves time, money, stress, etc. you are genuinely sharing your value.
- You are fully in tune with what your dream customers are searching for. You know exactly what your clients are searching for online, and you know how to talk about it in terms that make sense to them.
- You are ready to be consistent. This means consistently showing up, consistently offering value, and consistently supporting your business goals.
- You have a plan to repurpose. You realize the gold nuggets of wisdom your blog has to offer and you are ready to share these little gems in anyway possible.
Still think you need a blog?
If you are still feeling the pull to blog, let's talk a little strategy. Every good blog is going to have certain key elements that when designed well are going to help ensure your blog is actually supporting your business as well as your SEO efforts.
Here's a look at what you need...
- A purpose - what you do hope to accomplish with this blog post? Engage? Entertain? Educate? Pick one!
- Keywords & phrases - These are the words they are actually searching for that you use throughout your content.
- Call to action - connect them with your lead magnet, invite them to schedule a discovery call, something that inspires them to take action to connect with you.
- Imagery - these are images that help tell the story of what you are sharing. You want to them clear and inviting to your dream customers.
- Links - ideally you want to try and include internal and external links in your blog posts. External links are great resources that support what you are sharing, while internal links keep them engaged in other content you have to share. Both support SEO.
This is a lot, and I am here to help!
Tying all of these pieces together takes time and it can feel a little overwhelming initially, but I promise it does get easier.
And to help you get past that hurdle just a little big quicker, I have just launched my latest course, Blogging 101, which is going to break down all of these steps into easy to manage tasks while helping you get organized so you can consistently show up.
Find this new course and others in my Free Course Library!
Sign up for instant access!
Why my courses are free...
My friend I have been in your shoes, and I know what it is like to have more time than money. I have poured a lot of blood, sweat and tears into my business and I have learned some tough lessons. If I can help make your journey a little easier, then great! After all we are all better when we work together to support each other.